Mason Jar Mummies make great decorations and serving dishes on Halloween.
We always plan an activity for Friday afternoon to celebrate the start of the weekend and today my kids really wanted to do arts and crafts. With Halloween right around the corner, they were hoping to make something spooktacular that they could put on display for the rest of the month.
I looked to our art supply cabinet to see what we had and decided to make Mason Jar Mummies. If you’re looking for a simple kid and toddler-friendly activity then this is a great one to consider! It’s made of supplies you probably already have in your home, they’re simple to make and it creates no mess to clean up! For those of you needing more information on safe art supplies, you can read my post about gluten free art supply alternatives.
To get started, collect the following supplies: three mason jars, a roll of gauze, googly eyes, tape, gluten free glue (we use Elmer’s), tape, scissors, and flameless tea lights. Then follow these simple instructions.
- Place a piece of tape on the end of the roll of gauze.
- Wrap the gauze around the mason jar until it’s completely covered.
- Cut the gauze when you don’t need anymore and tape the last piece to the jar to hold it in place, or tuck it into a layer of wrapped gauze.
- Squeeze a dot of glue on the googly eyes and place the eyes on the wrapped jar.
- Turn on one of the flameless tea lights and place it inside of the jar.
- Repeat the above steps for the remaining mason jars.
Mason Jar Mummies Have Many Uses
What I love about these mason jar mummies is that you can use them in a few different ways. They are cute centerpieces on your table inside, and they also make a nice outside decoration near your door or lining the pathway to your house. They also make adorable candy dishes, smoothie holders, and dessert cups for any kind of sweet treat that would do well served in a mason jar.
I hope you are enjoying the Halloween season as much as we are! I’d love to hear about your favorite arts and crafts activities in the comments below.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.