We’ve all heard it countless times – breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It gives your body the fuel it needs to be ready for the day ahead. And yet, how many of us get caught up in the morning rush – getting the kids up, fed, and ready for school, packing lunches, etc? I know I have those mornings where making a homemade, healthy breakfast can get lost in the mix. It might seem easier to pour that bowl of processed breakfast cereal, or pop that packaged frozen waffle in the toaster. But, with some pre-planning breakfast can be healthy and only take a few minutes to prepare.
I’m all about making food ahead of time so that breakfasts can be easier. I often make extra muffins and freeze them, and last month I shared a recipe for Veggie Egg Cups that store really well too. This month, I’m sharing a recipe for a kid-tested, mother approved breakfast Acai Bowl that your kids will LOVE. Seriously. They think they’re getting ice cream for breakfast and in reality they are getting a superfood and antioxidant packed breakfast to give their day a kickstart. Plus, the little ones always get acai mustaches on their faces which are adorable and make for cute photos 🙂 .
The frozen portion of the recipe below should be made in advance and I recommend making double so you have extra to store for later use. Place it in a freezer container and on the morning you plan to serve it, scoop out a 3/4 cup – 1 cup serving per person and let it defrost for 5-10 minutes. Chop the fruit, pack your lunches, get the kids ready etc. while it’s defrosting so that you’re multitasking and stay on track with your busy morning routine.
Gluten Free Acai Bowl
- 2 frozen packs of acai puree I like Sambazon
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries and strawberries
- 1/2 cup almond milk or non-dairy unsweetened milk
- 1 tsp hemp seeds to give it a protein boost
- 1 fresh banana
- 1/4 cup fresh strawberries and blueberries
- 1/8 cup certified gluten free granola
- 1 tsp chia seeds superfood that's high in calcium and magnesium
- Sprinkling of shredded coconut
Frozen Blend -
- Let the frozen acai defrost at room temp for 5 minutes.
- Place the frozen acai, frozen banana, frozen blueberries and strawberries, hemp seeds, and 1/4 cup almond milk in a blender.
- Blend for 30 seconds. You'll likely need to stop and stir it at that point, add the second 1/4 cup almond milk and then blend until smooth. It will be thick but that's a good thing.
- Store the frozen acai mixture in a freezer container until you're ready to use it.
Acai Breakfast Bowl -
- Scoop out 3/4 cup to 1 cup of the frozen blend into a bowl and let it defrost for 5-10 minutes, depending on how cold your freezer is. You just want to be able to stir it so that it's thick and smooth rather than in a big frozen chunk.
- While defrosting, slice up fresh banana and strawberries.
- Top with fresh banana, strawberries, blueberries, granola, chia seeds, and shredded coconut.
For the little ones under one years old or who are not ready for textures like granola, skip adding that and the shredded coconut as a topping. Instead, when you’re making the frozen mixture add in 1/8 cup gluten free certified oats and blend. When you’re ready to serve, you’ll simply add the fresh fruit and chia seeds on top.