Chocolate Coconut Macaroons
Chocolate Coconut Macaroons make a sweet treat that’s healthy, grain free and refined sugar free!
Happy New Year everyone! I’m so excited to start a new year with new goals and more focus. 2017 was a great year for us, but I love the optimism I feel at the start of a new year.
This year, I want to focus more on being present and cherishing the moments with my family. I find that many days I get caught up in getting through the day with work or household chores, and then feel exhausted at the end of the day. One of my goals is to be more organized with my time management and have time with my kids where I’m just focusing on them and enjoying the moments while they’re the little, rather than multi-tasking all day. This is a big goal, but I’m hopeful that by scheduling time for work and household responsibilities, and separate “fun”time with my kids that I’ll be able to accomplish it. I also think that taking 15 minutes a day for just me to rest and think will also help me stay in the moment, appreciate what I have and see what areas I need to keep working on.
The New Year is also a good time for me to reboot our health goals as a family. I always want to exercise more as I find the day to day routines can put exercise on the back burner, but I was excited when my daughter said she wants to take more walks and learn to ride her bike without the training wheels.
Diet is a big part of a healthy lifestyle too. If you’re like me, then you had way too much sugar over the holidays. Most of the year, we’re really good about limiting sugar intake and opting for refined sugar free recipes whenever possible but the few weeks surrounding Christmas include my husband’s birthday and my son’s birthday so it’s like celebration after celebration in our house with A LOT of cake.
I’m all about moderation instead of elimination, and so we developed a recipe that would allow us to get our sweet fix without the refined sugars. These Chocolate Coconut Macaroons are so so yummy so I just had to share them with you! They’re bursting with flavor and textures, and you’d never know that they’re healthier than most cookies. Plus, they’re simple to make which is always a bonus!
Chocolate Coconut Macaroons
This recipe is gluten free, grain free, dairy free, vegetarian and paleo friendly. It makes 12 macaroons.
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened, dairy free dark chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded coconut, coconut flour and maple syrup. You can use a spatula, but mixing with your hands so it’s evenly coated works well too.
- Beat your egg whites until they have soft peaks.
- Add egg whites to the coconut mixture and continue to fold together so it’s evenly coated. Mixture should be moist and not have any dry spots, so keep folding it together if it does.
- Take a small handful of the mixture and roll it in your hands until it forms a small circle. Place on the baking sheet and repeat with the others, making sure there’s an inch between them.
- Bake for 10 minutes until the tops are lightly browned.
- Let cool completely so that they get firm.
- While the macaroons are cooling, melt your chocolate and add to a small bowl.
- Arrange the macaroons on a plate and drizzle unsweetened, dairy free dark chocolate on top with a spoon.
- Let the chocolate dry or eat them right away if you don’t want to wait 🙂
If you’re looking for more healthy treats and love chocolate, try making Chocolate Bananas.