Strawberry homemade fruit roll-ups make a delicious and kid-friendly healthy snack that’s so simple to make, you won’t believe it!
I had the privilege of picking fresh fruits and vegetables any time I’d visit my grandparents growing up, as they lived on a farm in South Carolina. I remember how neat I thought it was that they could grow their own food and be self sufficient, learning the importance of taking care of the Earth, and how much better the foods tasted in their gardens vs. store bought foods.
So, when I heard that there was a pesticide free Upick farm in our local area, I jumped at the opportunity to take our family. Right now, it’s strawberry season so we picked a TON of fresh strawberries. It was the first time that I’d taken my kids to pick fruits or vegetables and they really enjoyed the experience. My son was into it from the start, but my daughter was a little nervous at first. That ended quickly, and she was right there with him filling her bucket.
When it was time to go home, we talked about all of the different types of recipes we could make with the strawberries. The kids had some surprising ideas like strawberry soup, and in the end we decided to try making homemade fruit roll-ups.
I’m all about simple, healthy recipes and including the kids whenever possible. When I tell you how simple this recipe is to make, you won’t believe me! It only takes two ingredients and the prep work is less than 5 minutes. I know, 5 minutes of prep for a week’s worth of snacks seems crazy but it’s true. Here’s the super simple and fun-to-make recipe.
Strawberry Homemade Fruit Roll-ups
- 3 1/2 cups fresh, ripe strawberries
- 2 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees.
- Rinse the strawberries and dry them (by hand or air dry).
- Remove the stems, and add the strawberries to a blender.
- Blend until completely smooth and taste test the puree. Fresh strawberries vary on sweetness, so you want to taste it to make sure you add the necessary amount of maple syrup. For us, 2 1/2 tsp was the perfect amount, but add it 1 tsp at a time and blend and taste test until you get the desired sweetness.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat (you can use parchment paper instead if you don't have it, but silicone baking mats work best).
- Pour the strawberry puree over the baking mat evenly.
- Put it in the oven for 3-4 hours, checking after 3 hours. You want the consistency to be dry but not still moist and not cracked.
- Remove from the oven, and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Peel the fruit roll-up sheet off of the mat. It should come right off.
- Transfer it to a fresh piece of parchment paper and cut it with scissors into strips.
- Roll the homemade fruit roll-ups and tie with a string.
- Serve immediately, or store in an air tight container for one week.
Toddler Tip: Strawberry homemade fruit roll-ups make a really adorable Valentine's gift for friends. You can make it together and they'll be so proud to give it to their friends and family.
Strawberry homemade fruit roll-ups make a really adorable Valentine’s gift for friends. You can make it together and they’ll be so proud to give it to their friends and family.