Gluten free pulled barbecue chicken sandwiches are perfect for summer barbecues or comfort food all year round!
Pulled chicken is a family favorite in our house. It’s simple to make and it can be used in so many different recipes depending on what you pair it with and the seasonings. One way that we enjoy eating pulled chicken is barbecue style and that’s exactly what we served for our July 4th celebration.
We hosted July 4th, so there were plenty of gluten free goodies. But, that’s not always the case when we go to a barbecue at someone else’s house. A lot of people bring side dishes to barbecues big enough so that people can share it, and while we do that sometimes I prefer to bring something that’s heartier and more filling. Why? Because unless we know there will be food we can enjoy, it can be hard to fill up on a side dish and barbecues tend to last for hours. If we’re going to be having fun outside for a lengthy period of time, I want my kids to have the fuel they need to enjoy themselves. So, we bring protein dishes a lot instead and this recipe is always well received.
A couple of benefits to note about this recipe. First, it’s simple to make, and takes 20 minutes to prepare. After that you can go about your day and let it simmer on the stove. Second, you can change up the flavor profiles by making the barbecue style you’re in the mood for, from Memphis to Carolina or Kansas City styles. We were going for Carolina flavors so we chose to use Organicville Barbecue Sauce, but you can substitute your favorite gluten free barbecue sauce or make your own.
Gluten Free Pulled Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches Recipe
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1/2 small red bell pepper
- 1/2 small green bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 chicken breasts
- 3 chicken thighs
- 1.5 cups water
- 13.5 oz gluten free barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 gluten free buns
- Dice the onions and peppers and set aside in a bowl.
- Mince the garlic and add it to the bowl.
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauce pan on medium heat on your stove top.
- Add the two chicken breasts and turn them every 2 minutes until they're browned.
- Add the barbecue sauce and water to the pot, along with the onions and garlic and mix until well combined.
- Reduce heat to low and let it cook for 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and pull it with a fork.
- Add the pulled chicken back into the pot, along with the bell pepper and cook for another 30 minutes on low.
- Serve with warm gluten free buns.
Toddler Twist: This is a great recipe for little ones too as pulled chicken is very soft and easy to chew. If they’re too little for textures, you can always blend it up and serve with rice or quinoa cereal.