Gluten Free Mini Heart Layer Cakes
I can’t believe Valentine’s Day is two weeks away. This year is really flying by! I have the sweetest memories of Valentine’s Day growing up – not the commercial kind, but baking with my mom and my dad bringing me flowers or a teddy bear. Because of these memories, I try to stretch the holiday out with my kids by making lots of heart shaped foods and doing crafting projects.
This weekend we made mini heart layer cakes with light pink coconut frosting together and it was so much fun….messy of course, but totally worth it. Most of the recipes I post at Celiac Mama are made from scratch, but this one is an exception. It calls for Pamela’s gluten free chocolate cake mix which is delicious and easy when you have a time crunch. We used a heart-shaped whoopie pie pan which I wholeheartedly recommend because it’s so easy to use to make adorable mini cakes, cookies, brownies, and muffin tops.
Gluten Free Mini Heart Cakes
- 1/2 package of Pamela's Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or safflower oil
- 1 can coconut milk full fat, refrigerated for at least 3 hours
- 1/4 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp strawberry puree
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the chocolate cake mix, egg, water and oil.
- Grease the whoopie pie pan slightly - I dab some oil on the end of a paper towel and rub it in each section.
- Fill each whoopie pie heart 2/3 full with the above cake mixture.
- Cook in the oven for 10 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool for a few minutes and then remove from the pan.
- Allow the cakes to completely cool before adding the coconut filling.
Coconut Frosting Filling:
- Once the coconut milk can is chilled, open the can and scoop out the white cream part into a large mixing bowl and do not use the remaining clear liquid. Chilling the can separates the cream from the liquid, so it’s easy to spot the difference.
- Add the powdered sugar to taste, 1/8 cup at a time.
- Puree strawberries in a blender.
- Add 1 tbsp of the strawberry puree to the coconut milk and sugar bowl. This gives the frosting a pink color.
- Blend with a mixer for 1-2 minutes and you’re done!
- Take one mini heart cake and cover it with the frosting.
- Add a second heart cake on top to make the perfect mini heart layer cake.
- Repeat until you've made all of the layer cakes.
Happy Valentine’s Day Baking!!
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links that won’t impact you or cost you anything extra.