Freshly baked bread is one of the things I’ve missed most since our family became gluten free. We’ve found incredible sandwich breads and buns, but nothing that could compete with the smell, taste and fluffy texture of freshly baked bread….until now. Today, I created a gluten free focaccia bread that is grain free and paleo, and most important it’s incredibly delicious.
Bob Ross, an amazing artist and host of PBS’s Joy of Painting, used to say “We don’t make mistakes, just happy little accidents.” Well, that’s exactly what happened to me today. I did not set out to make gluten free focaccia. In fact, I was trying to make a grain free pizza crust. When I could see that the dough wasn’t going to firm up enough, I decided to try to make it into a flatbread and it came out better than I could have imagined. They are soft and fluffy, and have that focaccia bread texture I’ve been missing. While they’re great on their own, I love dipping focaccia in olive oil so I recommend trying it that way too.
After devouring a few pieces with my son, we brought some over to a neighbor. It’s been a long time since I’ve had regular focaccia, so I wanted to know what it tasted like to them. They loved it and couldn’t believe it was gluten free! They said it tasted just like great focaccia, which was a huge compliment!
The recipe has 10 ingredients and is easily mixed by hand. The grain free flours are made from a blend of almond flour, tapioca starch and coconut flour. Here is the simple recipe so you can make some too!
Gluten Free Focaccia Recipe
This recipe is gluten free and makes 8 servings. It is also grain free and paleo, as long as you use a grain free baking powder. If you need a recipe to make your own grain free baking powder, The Family that Heals Together has a good one.
Gluten Free Focaccia
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons water warm
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine your eggs, apple cider, oil and water.
- Mix by hand with a whisk until well combined.
- Next, add your almond flour and stir until smooth.
- Add your tapioca starch and stir until well combined.
- Add your coconut flour and stir until smooth.
- Add your baking powder, salt and Italian seasoning and stir all together.
- Let the dough sit for 5 minutes, it will thicken up.
- Stir once more and then pour into a round baking dish lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes and serve.
If you love freshly baked breads, you’ll love my gluten free rolls recipe too!
Pin for Later: