I have loved chocolate pudding since I was a kid. I remember making it with my dad and buying the My-T-Fine kind that he believed was superior to all others. We’d have a little before it went in the fridge and the waiting period while it cooled was always the hardest, but well worth it.
Chocolate pudding is one of those childhood desserts that I didn’t outgrow; in fact, I may like it even more now! Since I became a mom, I can’t help but try to sneak healthier ingredients into foods and desserts whenever possible, so this chocolate almond butter pudding recipe that I make with my kids now is no exception.
But, don’t let the word healthy fool you, it’s still plenty sweet and it is out of this world delicious!! We combined five ingredients (yes, just five ingredients!) to make this delicious chocolate almond butter pudding. It’s gluten free and dairy free, and also egg and soy free. I can’t explain just how good it is, you’ll have to try it to find out 🙂 .
Chocolate Almond Butter Pudding Recipe:
A simple and delicious gluten free dessert.
- 1/3 cup smooth almond butter we like Barney Butter
- 1/3 cup organic coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups dark chocolate almond milk
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- Combine the coconut sugar, arrowroot powder and cocoa powder, and add to a sauce pan.
- Add the almond milk in a little bit at a time, stirring to combine.
- Cook on medium heat, whisking constantly until the pudding starts to boil.
- Continue to cook for two more minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the almond butter, stirring until completely combined.
- Pour the pudding into a large bowl or individual serving cups and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Serve with two-ingredient gluten free and dairy free frosting on top, and with fresh fruit.
*Note: You can use tapioca powder or cornstarch instead of arrowroot if it's easier to find.