Get ready for a fast, simple and delicious recipe for gluten free chicken fingers!
I try to cook from scratch as much as possible for my family, keeping meals 30 minutes or less to prepare during the week. Sometimes though, I’m strapped for time and I need something that I can quickly pop in the oven. I used to keep a box of store-bought gluten free chicken fingers in the freezer for emergencies, but the truth is they’re expensive and have more preservatives in them than I’d like. So, I thought I’d try my hand at making my own chicken fingers. To my surprise, it turns out they’re simple to make, and freeze great for busy days in the future!
For supplies, I needed 1 pound of chicken breasts, gluten free panko breadcrumbs, gluten free spices to make homemade Italian seasoning, olive oil and almond milk. You’ll notice that I don’t use eggs in this recipe, which is great for those that are sensitive or allergic to egg. I started making egg washes without the eggs when my daughter was one because she couldn’t tolerate eggs until she turned 3. While she can eat egg now and we incorporate it them at breakfast and in other meals, I actually prefer the non-egg wash when it comes to breading foods. I find that they coat more evenly.
Gluten Free Chicken Fingers
Gluten Free Chicken Fingers
- 1 pound of chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Combine the salt, parsley, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and basil in a small bowl to make the Italian seasoning. This is a great Italian seasoning you can store in your kitchen, so if you use it a lot then make more for later use.
- Add the panko breadcrumbs to the bowl and mix.
- Trim the fat and then slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally, so that they are half as thick.
- Slice the chicken breasts lengthwise into strips, about 1 inch wide.
- Place a medium sized skillet on your stove top with 1 tbsp of olive oil and turn it on to medium heat so that it can get hot while you prepare the chicken.
- Set up two plates and a soup bowl next to your cutting board with the sliced chicken like an assembly line.
- Pour the Italian seasoned breadcrumbs onto a plate and spread out evenly.
- Add the almond milk and olive oil to the bowl to create the non-egg wash and stir.
- Dip each slice of chicken into the non-egg wash and coat it turning it in the bowl.
- Lay the chicken strip onto the plate of breadcrumbs and turn to coat it twice, pressing down on each side to get as many of the breadcrumbs as possible.
- Set the coated chicken strip onto the empty plate.
- Repeat until you're finished preparing all of the chicken strips.
- Place the chicken onto the hot skillet, fitting as many as you can (with room to turn) onto the skillet.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes and turn over and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Repeat until the chicken is a nice golden brown and fully cooked.
- Remove cooked chicken from the skillet and place onto a paper towel covered serving platter. The paper towel will remove any excess oil.
- Repeat until all of the chicken is cooked, adding 1 teaspoon more of olive oil as needed. You'll know if you need more if the pan becomes dry.
- Enjoy with sweet and sour sauce, marinara sauce, barbecue sauce or ketchup.
Pin for Later: