Gluten Free BLT Pasta
This week I made a gluten free version of a pasta dish that we used to really enjoy, and this Gluten Free BLT Pasta is so good that I had to share it with you! I remember really enjoying this years ago and was determined to adapt it so that the whole family could enjoy it safely.
The entire meal is prepped and done in under 30 minutes, making it a weeknight meal win. Plus, it’s a meal that both one year olds and adults can enjoy, making it easier on the busy parent/chef. We used a quinoa and corn blend pasta and sauteed spinach, leeks, and grape tomatoes. I made one version for the “grown ups” and my daughter and another version for my littlest one that I’ll share at the bottom in the toddler twist.
Gluten Free BLT Pasta
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, nut free and soy free. It makes enough to serve 5 adults.
- 1/2 box gluten free spaghetti (we used Ancient Harvest)
- 1 1/2 cups organic grape tomatoes
- 2 cups organic spinach
- 1/2 cup finely sliced leaks
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3 pieces of gluten free, casein free bacon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup gluten free breadcrumbs (we used Ian’s panko breadcrumbs for an extra crunchy texture)
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until it’s cooked to your liking (we like it crunchy). Set aside on paper towels so the grease can drain.
- Drain the bacon grease from the pan, discarding all of the drippings except for one teaspoon.
- Boil a pot of water on your stove top. Once the water is boiling, add your spaghetti and cook until it reaches your preferred texture.
- While the pasta is cooking, slice the grape tomatoes in half and add them to the pan. Cook them on medium heat for 4 minutes until you start to see the tomatoes lose their shape and brown a bit.
- Add the leaks and cook the vegetables for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the pan and cook until the spinach starts to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and let it simmer until the liquid is cut in half.
- Remove the pan from heat.
- Drain the pasta when fully cooked and add it to the pan of vegetables. Stir until well mixed together.
- Break the bacon into bite size pieces. Add the bacon bits and the gluten free breadcrumbs on top of the pasta and vegetable mix. Stir it again until it’s well combined.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Toddler Twist: There are two ways to make this suitable for your baby or toddler. In both cases, I suggest omitting the bacon, not because it doesn’t blend well but because it’s not the healthiest thing to give to a baby…but I leave that up to your judgment. If your child is not comfortably eating pasta yet, then I suggest taking a portion size and blending the whole thing up until it reaches the texture your child is used to eating. If your child can eat the pasta when cut up into bite sized pieces like my littlest one can, then blend up the vegetable mixture so that it becomes a textured vegetable pasta sauce and pour that on top of the pasta. It’s so nice when you can cook one dinner that everyone can enjoy!