Who doesn’t like a good chocolate cake? Anyone? Didn’t think so! Whether it’s a birthday, graduation, holiday, or just because it’s important to have a good cake and icing recipe that you can rely on. My grandmother was famous for her chocolate icing, at least she was in our house! We just loved it and so it was important to me to adapt the recipe to be safe for our family.
I love this recipe because it’s easy to make, tastes great, and it keeps well in the freezer so I always make extra. It can be used as an icing on cake or donuts, and if you store it in the refrigerator over night it will take on a light and fluffy texture that when stirred makes a great frosting too.
Gluten & Dairy Free Chocolate Icing
- 2 cups organic cane sugar or coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- Combine all of the ingredients into a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, and boil for one minute.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a stand mixer, or alternately a mixing bowl with a hand mixer.
- Beat the mixture on medium for 3 minutes.
- It will look like a glaze, which is exactly how it's supposed to look.
- Pour it over your cake or donuts and let it set until it dries. This will take 20 minutes, but you can speed that up if you're in a hurry by putting it in the refrigerator for 5 minutes.
- Store the leftover icing in an airtight container and place it in the freezer until you need it next time.