Dairy free lemon chicken makes a refreshing dinner with little prep time that the whole family will enjoy.
As a busy mom, I am always looking for meals that require minimal prep during the week. To qualify, it needs to take 30 minutes or less to prep, and either needs to be ready to serve or finish cooking with minimal oversight.
Anything that requires constant stirring or flipping, etc for more than 30 minutes is too much work in my opinion. I prefer weekday meals that are done in less time, or can cook on their own while I play with my kids or get other work done.
Lately, I’ve been seeing lemons everywhere when I go shopping. The bright yellow color reminds me of sunshine and Spring, and the flavor is so refreshing. Since Spring has officially started, I decided to incorporate it into a main course.
While my kids like lemonade, they’d never had a meal that was based off of the flavor of lemons. I like to expose them to new foods and flavors, especially when they’re healthy. That said, my kids are picky eaters and I wasn’t sure what they’d think about this new lemon chicken dish.
As a general rule when I make something for the first time, I always have a back up in the refrigerator just in case they won’t eat it. Happily though, they loved it and both asked for seconds.
The gluten free and dairy free lemon chicken totally fits my requirements for an easy weeknight meal, but looking at it you’d think you were serving a gourmet meal that requires a lot of work. From start to finish, it took 10 minutes to prep and 30 minutes to cook in the oven, and guess what? If you use an oven safe pan then you’ll only have one pan to clean.
I like to pair this with roasted asparagus and potatoes. I coat them both with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast them in the oven until they’re fork tender. If your kids are not a huge fan of asparagus, try making them gluten free asparagus fries and see if that’s a win.
Here’s the simple lemon chicken recipe.
Dairy Free Lemon Chicken
Dairy Free Lemon Chicken
Dairy free lemon chicken makes a refreshing dinner with little prep time that the whole family will enjoy. The recipe is also gluten free and free of the top 8 allergens.
- 1 lb. chicken breast
- 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth gluten free
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash and dry your chicken and place on a cutting board.
- Combine salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the spices mixture.
- Add the olive oil to a large oven safe pan (I use a cast iron skillet) and set to medium - high heat.
- Add the chicken to the preheated pan and sear one side so that the outside edges are a white with a slight golden brown color.
- Turn and sear the other side.
- Remove from heat.
Mince your garlic clove and add to the pan.
- Cut a lemon in halves or fourths.
- Squeeze the lemon juice on the chicken and leave the leftover lemon in the pan.
- Next, add your chicken broth and rosemary to the pan.
- Place the pan in the oven wearing heat safe gloves and cook for 30 minutes, until the juices run clear indicating the chicken is fully cooked.
This dinner can be made with chicken breast halves or tenders. It pairs well with a side of roasted asparagus and potatoes.