Love is in the air as we celebrate Valentine’s Day all month long at home. My kids and I have been brainstorming new recipes to create together and they really wanted the first one to be cookies and chocolate. So, Chocolate Sugar Cookies (gluten free and dairy free as always) was the perfect combination to satisfy their request.
We celebrate all month long because it takes the pressure off of the main Valentine’s Day celebrations where my kids are often feeling left out because they can’t eat the same things as the other kids. Plus, cooking together is fun and helps them develop a positive relationship with food. The only downside to all of the holiday baking is that we are all eating extra sweets, so to balance it I make sure the other parts of our meals are extra healthy.
We have a beloved gluten free cut out sugar cookies recipe, and I thought it made the most sense to modify that one. To make them chocolatey, we added cocoa powder to the recipe. Since cocoa powder and flour are both dry ingredients with a similar texture, we needed to reduce the amount of flour or the cookies would have been too dry. So, we added 1/3 cup of cocoa powder and reduced the flour by the same amount.
The recipe is quite simple and it’s totally kid friendly. The dough comes out really smooth, more so than the original sugar cookie recipe, so chilling it is optional. I still recommend chilling the dough in the refrigerator for an hour if you have time, but you can make them right away if necessary. The cookie dough will just spread a little bit more if you cook it right away, so leave room in between the cookies to allow for that.
Baking time is only 5 minutes. How exciting is that?! They also cool quickly, so your family and friends will be enjoying them in no time. You can serve them as is, or you can decorate them with your favorite cookie icing and sprinkles. Enjoy them right away, bring them to a party, or wrap them up individually as cute Valentine’s. You can’t go wrong!
Here’s the delicious recipe! Happy Baking 🙂
Chocolate Sugar Cookies (Gluten Free | Dairy Free) Recipe
Gluten and dairy free sugar cookies are great served as is, or add your favorite icing and sprinkles!
- 2/3 cup Barney Butter blanched almond flour
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour we used King Arthur
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup palm oil shortening
- 1 cup organic white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Add the shortening, vanilla, egg, and sugar to a mixing bowl and mix on medium speed until it’s smooth and well combined.
- Combine the baking soda with the almond and gf flours in a bowl and add to the mixing bowl slowly until well combined.
- Wrap the cookie dough in plastic wrap and place in your refrigerator for 1 hour. This is optional, and they can be baked immediately.
- Set a piece of parchment paper on your counter.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and place it on top of the parchment paper.
- Place a layer of parchment paper on top of the dough and roll it with a rolling pin until it’s about 1/4 inch thick.
- Remove the top layer of parchment paper.
- Use cookie cutters to create the cut outs.
- Remove the excess cookie dough and re-roll until it's totally used up.
- Leave the cookies on the parchment paper and place on top of a baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- When they're finished baking, remove the parchment paper and cookies from the pan and let them cool completely. Leave them on the parchment paper while they’re cooling so they can harden before transferring to a plate for decorating.
- Serve without toppings, or decorate with your favorite cookie icing and sprinkles.