As a mom of two young children, I feel like we’re constantly on the go. Whether we’re heading to the park, beach, a play date, or on an extended drive somewhere I always pack snacks. I learned a long time ago that being without snacks could make a great day go South quickly. Not to mention, since both of my kids have restricted diets, snacks are even more key because I can’t assume that there will be a gluten free and dairy free snack available for purchase. While I do mix it up from time to time, I always make sure that my purse has a selection of the best gluten free on-the-go snacks so that I’m prepared.
Even when we’re on the go, I try to keep the snacks as healthy as possible because they’re fuel for my kids and if I fill them with high sugar foods that aren’t nutritious, the sugar highs and crashes follow and they’re hungry again within 30 minutes.
I have compiled what we consider to be the 5 best gluten free on-the-go snacks that we depend on the most, and since it’s so important to have easy grab and go foods I’m sharing them with you!
Best Gluten Free On-the-go Snacks
- Barney Butter Snack Packs – these protein packed snacks are certified gluten free, non-GMO project verified, vegan and peanut free and they taste amazing. They come in 7 different flavors so you can mix it up depending on your craving that day. I love them because they’re a big hit with my kids, low in sugar and each has 3-4 grams of protein. Plus, they’re easy to store in my purse taking up barely any space. Flavors include Smooth, Honey + Flax, Vanilla + Espresso, Bare Smooth (no added sugar or salt), Cocoa + Coconut, Crunchy, and Raw + Chia. My kids favorites are Cocoa + Coconut, Smooth, and Honey + Flax but they all truly taste great. While they can be paired with sliced apples, they love eating the snack by itself even more!
- Envirokidz Strawberry Granola Bars – these whole grain snacks are produced in a gluten free and peanut free facility, organic, non-GMO project verified and vegan. I love them once again because my kids do and because they’re low in sodium and sugar and have 2 grams of protein in each bar. While their chocolate granola bars also taste good, I prefer the strawberry bars as on-the-go snacks because we live in a warm climate and I don’t have to worry about the chocolate melting.
- Stretch Island Fruit Leather – these are great because each gluten free fruit leather is made up of 1/4 cup of real fruit and no added sugar. So, they satisfy sugar cravings without the less healthy ingredients. They’re also non-GMO project verified and vegan. Stretch Island Fruit Leather comes in 6 flavors: apple, apricot, cherry, grape, raspberry, strawberry. I asked my kids if they have a favorite and they just couldn’t choose, which tells you how good they all taste!
- Sahale Pomegranate Vanilla Flavored Cashews – Sahale makes some super delicious mixed fruit and nut varieties and while I like several of their mixes, my kids’ hands-down favorite are the cashews. So much so that I actually have to hide them at home and ration them…seriously! They’re certified gluten free, non-GMO project verified, low in sugar and boast 4 grams of protein per serving. They come in Grab & Go sizes too, so if you don’t have time to make a to-go container you can grab the travel sizes.
- Fresh Blueberries – I know you’re probably wondering how this is one of the best gluten free on-the-go snacks, but it’s because we think blueberries taste just as good at room temp as they do cold; and, they don’t have to be sliced so after a quick wash they’re ready to go. I can store them in my purse for hours in an airtight container and my kids eat them like candy. This is one superfood that I love taking with us on day trips.
So there you have it! Our list of the best gluten free on-the-go snacks. It takes a village and I love the online gluten free community, so if you have another favorite snack please share it in the comments below. Thanks!!