I have loved my mother’s Arroz Con Pollo (chicken and rice) recipe since I was a child. I’ve always found it to be like comfort food, and especially perfect on a cold or rainy day. It’s one of the recipes that we didn’t have to modify to be gluten free and dairy free, because it already is (as long as you make sure your spices and chicken broth are gluten free). As a parent now, I also appreciate it this recipe because it’s pretty easy to make and my toddlers really like it too. Here’s the recipe. I hope you enjoy it too.
Arroz con Pollo
My mother's arroz con pollo recipe is naturally gluten free and delicious!
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- Safflower oil
- ½ clove elephant garlic chopped
- 1 can diced GF tomatoes
- 1 organic bell pepper yellow or red or orange, chopped
- 1/2 small package of fresh mushrooms chopped
- 2 cups GF chicken broth
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 or 3 threads of saffron makes rice yellow
- Put enough oil in a medium skillet to cover 2/3 of the skillet bottom
- Sear the chicken until it is white, remove from pan
- Saute onions and pepper until onions are translucent
- Add mushrooms for 1 minute
- Add chicken
- Add chicken broth, salt, and chili powder
- Add rice and saffron
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30-40 minutes until chicken is tender and liquid is nearly absorbed.
Toddler Twist: Cut the chicken into small bites and keep it mixed with the soft rice. Or, if your child is too small to eat these textures, add it to a blender and make it into a thicker puree. If the puree is too thick, add a tsp of chicken broth at a time and mix until you achieve the desired consistency.