There’s something so symbolic about ringing in the new year. Thinking about all of the good memories from the year, making resolutions and looking forward to what’s coming next surrounded by the ones you love. When I was younger I used to love getting a new dress and going out to celebrate with friends. But now, I prefer to celebrate it with my kids. Now, that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy a glass or two of champagne – I most definitely do! That said, I wanted to come up with a fun kids mocktail that my little ones could drink as we cheers the new year.
My kids are 2 and 5 years old and at this stage, they don’t like the way carbonated beverages make their throats feel. Ha! I wonder when that changes. So, I decided to stick with fruit and coconut flavors instead. I combined ice, freshly squeezed orange juice, pineapple juice, coconut milk and strawberry puree to make our kids mocktail and my little ones absolutely loved it. We were taste testing and so I let them share a glass and well, that lasted about two seconds until they both wanted to make sure they had more. Can anyone relate to that? Luckily, I’d made more in the blender so I quickly got a second glass and all was calm.
Here’s the simple recipe. It’s totally kid friendly so they can make it too.
Recipe is gluten free, dairy free and also free from soy, peanuts and refined sugar. It makes enough for two 8 oz glasses and it’s also vegan and paleo friendly.
- 2 cups ice
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup canned coconut milk (not the low calorie version)
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- Blend up frozen strawberries and set aside. If too frozen to blend, add 1 tsp water at a time. Should be slightly chunky at the end.
- Line glasses with thick strawberry puree. It will melt a bit while the rest of the mocktail is made, which will make it smoother.
- In a blender, add your ice, orange juice, pineapple juice and coconut milk and blend on high until smooth.
- Pour the thick mixture over the strawberry puree layer, using a spoon if needed to help it out of the blender.
- Add fun straws, orange or strawberry slices to the rim of the cup.