When 3 pm rolls around, I can almost hear my kids’ stomachs growling. I usually keep pre-sliced veggies or fruit in the fridge that they can grab and snack on in addition to granola or almond butter snack packs, but some days they are hungrier than others and need something extra. Wednesday was one of those days. They were starved, I didn’t have anything prepared and I knew I needed to come up with something quickly. There’s a reason that some people refer to it as a “snack attack.”
I looked in the fridge and cabinets to see what I had and decided to make something up on the fly. What I ended up with was avocado boats. I knew the healthy fats from the avocado would give them an extra boost and I hoped that adding some flavorful and crunchy ingredients would make them taste really good. To top it off, I figured that serving them in the avocado peels would make the snack seem fun to my kiddos. I knew it would either be a disaster or a hit with the kids (there never seems to be an in between) and I decided to go for it.
I’m happy to report that my kids really liked them, so I’m sharing the recipe with you for your busy afternoons or whenever you or your kiddos have a craving. They were very simple to make with only four ingredients and I made them in under 5 minutes.
This recipe makes two servings and is gluten free, dairy free, peanut free, and soy free. It is also suitable for those following a paleo or vegan diet.
- One ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp fresh tomato salsa
- 1 tbsp gluten free panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cut a ripe avocado in half, lengthwise and scoop out the insides into a bowl, discarding the seed (pit).
- Mash it up with a fork until it’s mostly smooth.
- Add your favorite tomato salsa to the bowl. If you don’t have any, you can chop up fresh tomato, onion and cilantro.
- Add the salt and gluten free breadcrumbs. I use panko because it gives it some extra crunch and texture.
- Mix all ingredients together and add them back into the avocado halves.
- Serve with carrots, gluten free tortilla chips, or zucchini slices.