Gluten Free Beef & Broccoli Stir Fry
We love making stir fry dishes in our wok. It’s easy to use and makes food quickly, which is a major plus on busy week nights. We change it up a lot with the vegetables and protein sources and have used it to make “fried” rice varieties too.
I like to serve my kids grass fed beef 2-3 times a month, and this last time I made beef and broccoli stir fry for dinner. I’m a big believer in exposing children to the foods you want them to eat from the start. So, as babies my kiddos were both eating a lot of homemade vegetable purees once they were old enough for solid foods. Children will learn to like what you feed them – after all, they don’t know if something is low in sugar or healthy/unhealthy for a long time. If you feed them healthy foods from the beginning, they will learn to enjoy them and crave those foods. All of that said, I’ve had trouble getting them to eat their broccoli. It’s just not their favorite, and it’s amazing how many excuses my daughter can come up with as to why she shouldn’t eat her broccoli, haha!
When I made this stir fry last week, I was experimenting as I cooked to see if I could come up with a way to mask the natural flavor and texture of broccoli and get them both to happily eat it. Well, mission accomplished! It went so well that I am sharing the recipe with you. I hope it helps your kids eat their broccoli too!
Gluten Free Beef & Broccoli
This dish is gluten free, dairy free, and nut free.
- 1 lb. grass fed beef
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp sesame oil (or safflower oil if sesame is an issue for you)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup gluten free beef broth
- 1/3 cup gluten free, non-gmo soy sauce
- 2 tbsp coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp non-gmo cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Slice the beef into strips and set aside.
- Turn your wok temperature up to 8 and heat the oil in your wok (large stovetop skillet will work too on medium-high).
- Add the beef to the wok and brown on all sides (usually 3 minutes).
- Remove the beef and set aside in a bowl.
- Mix the water, beef broth, soy sauce, sugar, ginger, garlic powder and cornstarch together to make the sauce.
- Add the broccoli to the wok and pour the sauce on top.
- Let it cook for 5 minutes, stirring it every two minutes to make sure the broccoli is evenly coated.
- Add the beef back to the wok.
- Stir the beef and broccoli to make sure the sauce is coating all sides.
- Reduce the temperature to low and cover.
- Let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve over rice or quinoa and enjoy!
Toddler Twist: If your little one is too small to eat these foods whole, then blend some up in a food processor. Combine one serving of rice, beef and broccoli and add 2 tsp of the sauce. Blend until you get the thickness and texture that’s most appropriate for your child. If you need more liquid, add 1/2 tsp more at a time.