Gluten Free Sweet & Sour Mini Meatballs
This weekend we made sweet and sour mini meatballs as an appetizer at my son’s birthday party. They went so fast that I said afterwards we really didn’t make enough. When my husband reminded me we had made more than 60, I realized just how much people liked them and wanted to share the recipe with you.
Meatballs make great food for families. Kids and adults love them, and they can make a full meal or party appetizer depending on the size and accompaniments. Another thing that I really like is that you can make a bunch in one sitting and then freeze and use them as needed for many weeks. As a busy mom, this time saving factor is key for me, and the fact that these are healthy and satisfying makes this dish a win.
Gluten Free Sweet & Sour Meatballs
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, tree nut and peanut free.
3/4 lb ground pork
3/4 lb ground grass fed beef
1 cup gluten free panko
GF Italian seasoning to taste (1-2 tbsp)
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 medium yellow onion
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup GF organic beef broth
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup GF ketchup
2 Tbsp non GMO cornstarch
2 Tbsp GF soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all meatball ingredients into a bowl and mix until evenly combined.
- Roll small meatballs (1-1.5 inches) and place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Combine all sauce ingredients into a small sauce plan and place on medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer.
- Allow the sauce to simmer until it gets to the consistency you prefer, about 10-15 minutes.
When you’re ready to serve, pour the sauce over the meatballs and toss to coat evenly.