Gluten Free Spinach Potato Bites
I am always looking for new ways to make sure that my kids eat their fair share of green vegetables and I love developing healthy, limited ingredient meals. Today, I was experimenting with chopped spinach and potatoes and came up with Spinach Potato Bites. They have 6 ingredients and are gluten free, dairy free, vegan, paleo and top 8 free. The best part is that they are fairly simple to make and they can be used as a side dish for kids and adults or as an appetizer for parties.
Gluten Free & Dairy Free Spinach Potato Bites
- 1 medium organic russet potato
- 1/3 cup chopped spinach, drained
- 1/8 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp himalayan sea salt (or your favorite salt)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Bring water in a medium pot to a boil.
- Wash and peel the potato and cut into cubes and add them to the boiling water.
- Boil until the potatoes are fork tender, soft is good since you’ll be mashing them.
- Remove the potatoes from heat and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add coconut milk, olive oil, salt and garlic powder to the potatoes and mix with an electric hand mixer until smooth.
- Taste the potatoes and add more salt and garlic powder if you feel it needs it.
- Saute the chopped onion until they become translucent.
- Defrost 1/3 cup frozen chopped spinach (or you can use fresh).
- Drain the spinach by squeezing it and adding it to your measuring cup until you have a firmly packed, drained 1/3 cup of spinach. Set aside.
- Add the spinach and onion to the mixing bowl and mix until the ingredients are well combined. The mixture should look like this:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take a large spoonful of the potato spinach mixture, roll with your hands into a ball, and add it to the baking sheet.
- Repeat until the entire mixture has been used. It makes about 15 bites.
- Bake for 30 minutes until they are lightly brown on the outside, turning half way.
- Serve them as is for a side dish, or add toothpicks if you’re serving them as a party appetizer.
Toddler Twist: Make the spinach potato bites half the size if you’re making them for toddlers, so they’re truly bite size. Give them a bowl of apple sauce to dip the spinach potato bites in and watch them disappear quickly 🙂