In our family, candied yams is always a part of the holiday celebrations. Traditionally, it calls for a lot of butter and marshmallows, but as a gluten free and dairy free family who was also looking for a healthier option we came up with this recipe. By we, in this instance, I mostly mean my amazing mother who has been dedicated to adapting our family recipes into dishes we can all enjoy safely together. It’s gluten and dairy free as always, but it also top 8 free so it should work for most food allergy conscious families. Don’t forget to read the toddler twist at the bottom.
Gluten Free, Dairy Free Candied Yams
- 6 large organic sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 apple cider (or apple juice)
- 1/4 cup organic blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake the potatoes on a baking sheet until they are soft (30-40 minutes)
- Remove the potatoes and let them cool a bit so you don’t burn your fingers.
- Peel the skin off of the potatoes carefully.
- Slice the potatoes about 1/4 inch.
- Place the potatoes in a rectangular glass baking dish lining the bottom and then stacking them on top of each other until all of the potatoes are in the dish.
- Add the blueberries in any open spaces between the potato slices.
- Mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and apple cider in a large measuring cup and pour over the potatoes.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
Toddler Twist: Make individual serving dishes for the kids arranging the potatoes in the shape of a flower with the blueberries as accents; or make a smiley face using the potatoes and blueberries to make eyes, nose and mouth.